Sunday, July 11, 2010

One Adventure Ends, and Another Continues…

Hello, everyone!

Well, I am safely back home with my mom, my sister, and my adorable puppies in Phoenix, Arizona. It’s been an amazing five months, but I have responsibilities at home and a life that I need to continue living. It feels almost as if this past semester didn’t even happen, almost like it was a dream and now I’m waking up to reality and familiarity. But it’s a dream that I’ll never, ever forget.

I want to thank a few people for giving me this amazing opportunity. Without them, how would I have made it through these past five months (or even the chance to go in the first place)?

I especially want to thank, first and foremost, my mom and dad. They were incredibly supportive of my decision to study abroad from the very beginning, and without their emotional (and financial) support, this idea of studying in Macau wouldn’t have even been feasible. I have no idea how I will ever thank you two for this, but I’m going to start by getting a job that actually pays next semester. :)

I also wish to thank the friends I made in Macau, in particular my fellow exchange students. We went through this experience together, and it was amazing to see where we all started together and ended together. We’re all very different people, but through our common experience we made unexpected friendships. To Catherine, Iris, Cindy, and Stella in particular, the past five months would have been a completely different experience without your unconditional love and friendship. I’ve learned so many things from you four, and I promise that we will find a way back to each other again!

This may sound cliché to some, but I would like to thank God for blessing me with this amazing experience. I know I don’t strike many as the religious type, but I have thanked Him every day for this gift, even if I’m still not sure what I did to deserve it.

I also want to thank my friends at home who kept in touch with me throughout the past five months. Thank you especially to: Sam B., Grant, Tim, Sam C., Jacob, Victoria, Katie, Lois, Emily, Jane, Sara, Ashley, Kelly, Jenna, Ricky, and Shelley. Without your constant messages of support I would have been in a very lonely place. I appreciate all of you so much!

And last (but not least) I would like to thank everyone who has kept up with my blog over the course of this process. I know I get wordy at times, and to be honest I’m not sure I’d have the patience to read my own blog! But for those of you who have, thank you for giving me an audience to write to.

And that’s it for “Ni Hao from Macau.” Indeed, this experience has been quite the adventure, but now it is time to readjust to life back home. I’m sure that will be an adventure in of itself, but I’m ready to face the challenge!

Admittedly, I have a little anxiety about seeing all my friends back home again and returning to NAU, and just adjusting to the fact that things did not get put on hold while I was gone. However, this anxiety was much worse last January right before I left, but now that I’m on this side of the experience I’ve come to accept that things will be a little different. All that means is that I have a little bit of catching up to do. : )

So, as I embark upon a new adventure, I wish to thank you all one last time. May you be blessed as I have with the opportunities to travel and learn.

To new adventures,
Kati Routh



P.S. If my summer in Mexico works out, keep a lookout for a new blog. I’ve already come up with a name: “Hola from Cuernavaca.” Coming soon, May 2011. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment