Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Cantonese Lesson

Nei ho!

As you know, nei ho means "hello" in Cantonese, the dialect of many Southern Chinese cities including Macau. However, I thought it would be good to teach you a couple of other phrases in Cantonese, just so you all know that I'm not wasting my time here pointing and grunting all the time at the stores and restaurants (even thought that's often the case).

The IFT Student Union was very kind to give us a couple of Cantonese lessons during our exchange student orientation week. Here are some of the phrases that stuck with me:

Ng chan (pronounced mmmmm chan): lunch
Jou-san (accentuate the u): Good morning!
Ba si: bus
Dor je (pronounced doh-tse): Thank you (This phrase is the one I use most frequently here!)
Peng d la: Cheaper! (For bargaining!)

And how do you say farewell?

Bye bye!
Kati

P.S. I'm starting to take a Mandarin class next week, so I will be bringing you phrases from that Chinese dialect very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment