Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Can't Take It For Granted

Greetings, all!

If there’s one thing I’ve learned so far here in Asia, it is to appreciate what I have and not take things for granted. That may sound a little cliché, but it’s the truth.

I’m not trying to say that Macau is a ghetto, third-world, poor town. It’s far from it, actually! Macau is a flourishing city with a great tourism economy, and it’s growing more each day. People in Macau are wealthier than most in China.

But I’d be lying if I’d say there are some things that are lacking, at least for me, some things that I just accepted as the norm back in the US. Things like dryers and dry clothing, dishwashers, clean water that you can drink, or even going to bed hungry.

Okay, maybe that last one is me being a picky eater.

But still, there are so many little things I didn’t even realize I would miss until I didn’t have them anymore. I want to be able to go to Costco or the grocery store and buy a big case of water bottles to have, rather than having to buy them individually every other day. I miss the non-hassle of brushing my teeth with tap water. I don’t want to worry about our gas tank running out again WHILE I’m taking a shower and giving us no heat for our stove or for washing dishes. I want to watch TV in a language that I can understand. I want cupcake mixes, instant mashed potatoes, Eggo waffles, Chewy granola bars, and frozen TV dinners. I want to hop in my car and go through a drive-thru at the fast food establishment of my choice, not JUST McDonald’s. : )

I know, all I’m saying is “I want this, I want that.” A little selfish of me, I suppose.

Now, I have a lot of national pride for my county, and usually it bothers me when people talk about Americans as the stereotypical materialistic society. You know, two cars, two televisions, a cat and dog, big house, etc.

But stereotypes really are a generalization arising from reality, aren’t they? There’s always some truth behind these conceptions. Yet not that it means that they apply to every single person in that particular group, either.

I’m just saying that I miss the comforts of home, but these are just some adjustments I have to overcome being a newcomer to a foreign country. When I get back to the US, I’m going to bear in mind all the little things I went without abroad, and remember not to take those things for granted.

Sincerely,
Kati

No comments:

Post a Comment