Thursday, February 4, 2010

Spaghetti and Chopsticks

Nei ho from Macau! (***Note: Ni hao is Mandarin, Nei ho is Cantonese.)

Today I had a great day with my Asian roommates! Cindy (Chinese) and Stella (Korea) were going to make dinner together, and they usually make their meals together since they eat the same things. They were going to make rice, and they asked if I wanted some. I said of course I would, I love rice (they showed me how to use a rice cooker the other day). But since they keep offering me their food, I thought I’d make some spaghetti for dinner and share with them.

Daddy and I found Bertolli spaghetti noodles and Prego sauce at the grocery store, just like in America. I didn’t have a very big pot, so that was fun trying to cook the noodles. However, we got everything made despite our limited cookware. I set the table and invited them to sit down with me.

This was probably the most interesting meal I’ve ever had. I offered Cindy a fork, but she and Stella both wanted their chopsticks. I was a little taken aback at the concept of eating spaghetti with chopsticks, but didn’t say anything. You know, they probably thought I was weird for using a spoon to eat my Asian noodles they’d made the other day.

I only had two small plastic forks, so getting the spaghetti out was a little challenging. Cindy and Stella each took their servings from the pot…with their chopsticks. It was amazing! They grabbed a whole serving of spaghetti noodles with the chopsticks, and it actually seemed to work better than any utensil I’ve seen it served with in the US. They didn’t drop any, and the noodles somehow didn’t tangle with the rest in the pot, as spaghetti noodles tend to do. I have no idea how they did it.

And then they proceeded to eat their spaghetti with their chopsticks! It was so amusing and so fascinating at the same time.

I had a slice of bread with butter, but Cindy and Stella made rice instead. I also had a side of rice with my spaghetti. Cindy sautéed some vegetables Mandarin-style to go with the rice for her and Stella, but I was too full on bread, spaghetti, and rice to eat any more.

Like I said, probably the most interesting meal I’ve ever had.

Love,
Kati


Stella with the Suradurra dessert she made during the IFT culinary demonstration!



Cindy and I at the IFT!

No comments:

Post a Comment